HYBRID MAGNET ARRAY
Symmetrically placed on each side of the diaphragm, our neodymium magnets are specifically arranged into a Hybrid Array to create efficient Isodynamic magnetic field required for a uniform activation across the whole diaphragm surface.
RINARO ISOPLANAR® DIAPHRAGM
Weighing only 0.16 g while
having 4650 mm² of active area.
HYBRID ARRAY DRIVER ADVANTAGES
Combines two independently shaped voice coils within the same diaphragm delivering more selective acoustic performance to the various areas within the structure of the ear.
Total harmonic distortion (THD) measures under 0.1% in the whole frequency range
Reduced driver weight designed to create a headphone that offers prolonged listening sessions
Ergonomically shaped driver structure with an increased active area
Upper-frequency limit of audio reproduction is 110,000 Hz
100db@1mw/1kHz High performance without needing amplification
PATENT PENDING ISODYNAMIC HYBRID ARRAY DRIVER
World’s first in planar magnetic headphones
Over 30 years of research and development have led to the creation of the first Isodynamic Hybrid Array driver. Meze Audio have collaborated with Rinaro to create a new standard in planar magnetic audio, the resulting technology being one of the lightest and most advanced planar magnetic drivers on the market.
The Empyrean Driver combines individual switchback and spiral-shaped voice coils, their unique shapes allowing sound to be targeted with more accuracy around the natural form of the ear. This unique combination generates an increased exposure of direct sound wave frequencies over the 10kHz range and improves imaging and localization by decreasing the impact of shortwave time delays caused by diffused field reflections.
AUDIBLE BENEFITS OF A DUAL DRIVEN SYSTEM
One of the problems with conventional planar magnetic arrays is coming from reflected signals entering the ear canal with different time delays, thereby worsening the focus of 3D sound imaging.
Combining different voice coil configurations makes it possible to create a better sound intensity distribution across the sound wavefront at high frequencies when directed at the auricle and ear canal.
ISOPLANAR® DIAPHRAGM MATERIAL
The diaphragm is manufactured from a custom developed isotropic thermally stabilized polymer with a conductive layer. Through unique processing methods, an ultralight yet rigid diaphragm has been achieved.
The switchback coil is more efficient at reproducing lower frequencies and is positioned in the upper part of the driver.
The spiral coil is more efficient at reproducing middle-high frequencies and is positioned directly over the ear canal enabling more direct sound waves to enter the ear without any time delays.
To create an audiophile headphone that is powerful yet light the driver needed to maximize power output while reducing weight as much as possible.
Weight was minimized by optimizing a magnet structure around an ovoid shape that fits the ear more closely. Power output was increased through the use of a completely bespoke coil and magnet array design that optimized the active usable area of the driver within its ovoid shape.
*also available are VEGAN leather pads and VEGAN leather top strap. Please ask us about these directly and we can sell them to you with your purchase as well as if you already own these headphones and want to go VEGAN.
ISOMAGNETIC® EARCUP TO EARPAD COUPLING TECHNOLOGY
An innovative feature is the Isomagnetic® ear cup attachment which utilizes the demagnetizing field generated by the driver to hold the ear cup in place whilst also redirecting the magnetic field back into the driver and improving driver efficiency.
Magnetic field shielding
The ferromagnetic ear pads decrease the magnetic stray field affecting the listeners head.
Increase in driver efficiency
Patented ferromagnetic plates channel the magnetic field back into the driver, increasing output.
Invisible locking system
Innovative use of the magnetic field of the drivers to fix the earcups in place.
STRAY FIELD REDUCTION FROM ISOMAGNETIC® PLATE COUPLING
Patented ferromagnetic plates channel the demagnetizing field back into the driver increasing efficiency by 1db or 12% and deflect 95% of stray fields away from the head.
A core belief of Meze is to create products that last. The Empyrean is no different: from the replaceable earpads to the high-performance materials used, every part on the headphone chassis is available to be serviced and disassembled by our skilled team.
PRESSURE DISTRIBUTION WINGS
Patented suspension wings increase the leather headrest’s contact surface area with your head and relieve uncomfortable pressure points.
LIGHTWEIGHT CARBON / ALUMINIUM SKELETON
DESIGNED AND ENGINEERED
IN BAIA MARE, ROMANIA
For the audiophiles who want to hear how 30 years of progression sound like, Empyrean pairs the advances in audio reproduction with a headphone chassis that delivers extended hours of listening pleasure.
• Case: High-strength aluminum suitcase with foam inserts
• Two sets of earpads included: one real leather, one Alcantara
• Cable options:
– 3m OFC cable, 4pin mini XLR plugs ending with 6.3 jack connector
– 1.3m OFC cable, 4pin mini XLR plugs ending with 3.5 jack connector
– 3m OFC cable, 4pin mini XLR plugs ending with 4 pin XLR connector
Operating Principle : Open
Ear Coupling : Circumaural
Frequency response : 4 – 110,000 Hz
Impedance : 31,6 Ω
Nominal SPL : 100 dB (1 mW/1kHz)
Maximum SPL : >130 dB
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) : <0.1%
Weight ≈ 430 g
MZ3 DRIVER SPECIFICATIONS
Geometrical shape : Ovoid
Size : 102 mm x 73 mm
Weight : 82 g
Casing : Fiberglass Infused ABS
Colors: Two choices of either Copper Edition or Jet Black Edition.
Type : Rinaro ISOPLANAR®
Active area : 4650 mm²
Weight : 0,16 g
Acoustic mass : 10,7 kg/m4
Lower frequency limit : 4 Hz
Upper-frequency limit : 110.000 Hz
Type : Isodynamic
Size : 75 mm x 49 mm
Magnetic Flux : 0,35 T
Also have SPC upgraded braided cable in stock (4pin XLR version)
Tim Connor, the owner of KitsuneHiFi said “These are my all-time favorite pair of headphones and truly think they are the best sounding pair i’ve ever heard! My wife and I both have our own pair!”
David Hunt (verified owner) –
Another great purchase from Tim with no regrets. I was actually in the market for my first electrostatic headphone, when I came across the Empyrean. Studied the product, did some research and I was sold sight unseen. These guys really get it in every aspect, from it’s build quality to sound down even the presentation details when you open up the carrying case.
I’ve made several purchases from Kitsunehifi and customer service is top notch. If you need advise Tim is always around to help with any questions you may have.
Joseph Kreidler –
Meze Empyrean. Wow. These were my first foray into the $2K+ headphones (previously owned HD800S, Focal Clear, Mr. Speaker Aeon Flow II) and these Empyreans exceeded my expectations in several areas.
1. Build Quality and Presentation, these are truly just like what I’d expect from a Custom Product not necessarily a production piece of equipment. The fit and finish is second to none in the audio world for certain but you will likely find this branches out way beyond just audio gear with this piece of kit. DACs and Amps change and grow with technology (Moore’s Law relatively speaking) but these will be around for a long long time if the build quality says anything. The Custom Hard Case is a great touch and was much appreciated, yes I understand the idea that a set of $3K USD headphones can of course come with a few hundred dollar hard case but it is this extra piece of care and attention that says a lot about the Meze Philosophy.
2. Performance, there’s not any additional superlatives I can use to describe the sound beyond what almost all of the YouTube reviewers already say but I’ll try, why not. The Empyrean go low well and they go high also but the midrange to me is where they shine, they are velvety and precise at the same time so that they are now my defacto Reference point period. The sound signature of these is by far my favorite of Higher End Focal, Sennheiser, and Mr. Speaker that I’ve owned. They are like sitting in a great jazz club in front of the band getting lost amongst the smiley haze in the air, the sound from these is sublime.
3. Fit, like a super soft leather driving glove. Nothing more to say, if you’ve had them on your hands you know exactly what I’m saying. If you haven’t then just try these and then you’ll also know what a high end leather driving glove feels like too.
In conclusion these are my go to headphones but a side note, at Tim’s suggestion I did have Norne audio build a set of cables which is a Cu/Ag hybrid build and to me it brought the highs up just the slightest bit for my older ears as I need with my lessening frequency range due to being middle aged and A LOT of music over the last 40+ years. Let’s just say that I love these so much that I’ve bought two pair from Kitsune HiFi. Tim has helped me tremendously in my pursuit of the “perfect” sound and if you haven’t reached out to him you should. The Holoaudio KTE Spring2 DAC coupled with the Holoaudio Azure amp is truly my current end game setup, until the next one of course! Thanks Tim for both sets of these headphones and again all of the direct personalized help along the way. Kitsune Customer Service and Meze Product Development and Delivery, if only more folks understood the application of these concepts the world would be a better place.